Mark A. Simon
Someone Was Injured on Your Denver Property - Here Is What You Need to Know
Have you had someone injured on your property and now you don’t know what to do? It can seem overwhelming, particularly if they are looking to sue your for medical bills or other damages. However, it’s important to not panic right away and evaluate the circumstances under which the accident happened. Here are the most important things you need to consider, and the next steps you should be taking to protect yourself.
Can They Sue Me?
You might first be wondering if it’s even possible for them to sue you - the question is yes. However, there are some stipulations to this. Generally, the law requires that property owners warn their guests of any hazards and that they must maintain their property to a reasonable standard. Does it need to be immaculate? No. But if there are debris spread about the yard and holes everywhere you could be liable. In terms of hazards, if you are aware that you have several holes in your yard you need to warn your guests of this ahead of time.
Some general guidelines of things that could be considered as a hazard, or your fault in case of an injury are:
- Flooring problems
- Inadequate lighting
- Holes in yard
- Debris in the yard or sidewalks
The next steps will be determining whether or not you are liable through an investigation. Here are some things that you should help compile, or at least be aware they are looking into.
- Witnesses - Was anyone there who can testify to what happened? Did anyone else see what happened besides yourself and the plaintiff (person suing)?
- Incident Report - Was there any incident report? If it was not a commercial property, the answer is most likely no.
- Weather Records - What was the weather that day? Was there anything that could have caused the accident?
- Police Report - Was the accident so bad that the police were called? The lawyer will want to see any police reports that were filed.
- Medical Records - What are the medical reports associated with the accident?
Helping your lawyer with this information, and actively participating, will help you to settle your case faster - but hopefully in favor of yourself as well.
The next step will be that the plaintiff’s lawyer will develop a claims package and submit it to the insurance company - the claims package will ultimately include a settlement demand as well. The insurance company can accept it, encourage mediation, or take the case to trial. Claims packages typically include:
- Evidence of liability
- Evidence of damages
- Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
The idea is that the claims package will help the plaintiff move on, and maintain a sense of normalcy. When it comes to being sued, keep in mind that your lawyer will be your best friend. They can help guide you on the appropriate course of action and help to build a defense for you. No matter what side of the coin you are on, it’s important to work with a lawyer to get the best possible outcome for yourself.
If you are looking for an attorney to assist in your case, there are a few things you should look for:
- Focused practice - make sure the attorney is focused in personal injury law
- Trial experience - make sure your attorney also has trial experience
- Record - Do they have a record of winning? That’s the best indicator that they can help you
- Resources - your personal injury attorney should also have plenty of resources to dedicate to your trial
Mark A. Simon is someone who will fight tirelessly for your rights and ensure that you receive the highest possible settlement for each individual case. He will begin the investigation process immediately, ensuring you receive the best representation possible. When it comes to a personal injury attorney in Denver, you shouldn’t sacrifice quality for convenience and opt for the first person you find. Select an attorney who will get you the outcome you desire and the settlement you need. If you are in the Denver metro area and require legal help or assistance, contact him to discuss your legal options during a free consultation.