Mark A. Simon
5 Important Steps to Take After a Car Accident – Rely on Your Denver Car Accident Attorney
It’s always a stressful and jarring experience when you find yourself in a car accident. However, it’s important to remember the correct protocol to ensure that you avoid any unnecessary issues later on and get the correct information for legal reasons. Follow the advice of your Denver car accident attorney and remember these five steps if you are even involved in an accident:
- Never leave the sceneThe first thing to remember when in an accident is that you should never leave the scene until all business has been taken care of. If someone was injured, killed, or property was damaged, you can face serious penalties and would likely be considered a hit-and-run driver. Especially if fault is not clear, make sure to be cautious with any apologies at the scene as you may be unknowingly admitting liability for the accident.
- Check on all involved in accidentBefore you make any calls, it’s important that you make sure everyone that was involved in the accident is okay. Seek medical help immediately if anyone is hurt. Lastly, check for property damage. Make sure to take pictures of any damage on all vehicles involved as well as your surroundings.
- Contact the PoliceAfter any accident, especially if there are any injuries or property damage, call the police right away. Once they arrive, ask for a police report and make sure that you get the officer’s information. Next, make sure to get the addresses, numbers, drivers’ license, license plate numbers, and other information from the other drivers involved. Make sure to collect basic information from passengers or witnesses as well, if any.
- Call your insurance companyMake sure that you inform your insurance company that you’ve been in an accident as soon as possible. Explain everything in detail and be completely truthful. If you aren’t, you may compromise your coverage for the accident. Offer any photos that may assist them in determining the necessary next steps.
- Hire an attorneyIf anyone was injured in the accident, make sure that you contact an experienced attorney to ensure that you maximize your recovery and follow all the correct steps in the difficult process.
Mark A. Simon, an expert auto accident attorney, is here to help and will fight for your rights. Find out more useful information about car accident claims in Denver – call the office of Mark A. Simon today!